Pull out the sundresses and short shorts! The temps are heating up, which means we get to start removing all those layers. With that comes a new focus on our physiques. There are many diets out there that will deliver a quick fix but may not be sustainable. Adopting the vegan lifestyle will give you the opportunity to eat a lot of real foods without feeling deprived while whittling down your waist.
My “whole foods” version of vegan includes:
- Grains (oats, buckwheat, quinoa, polenta)
- Veggie roots (sweet potatoes, beets, squash)
- Nuts and seeds as well as nut butters
While it is easy to be an unhealthy vegan eating pasta, bread, and a ton of packaged foods, you should not expect to reap the fat burning rewards.
- Real, Nutritious Food with Major Health Benefits
- Plant based food lowers risk of chronic disease by reducing the acidity in the blood (ex. Cancer cells thrive in an acidic environment). In addition, Vegan foods are rich in phytochemicals, which boost protective enzymes.
- No cholesterol or saturated fat.
- The healthy fats in a vegan diet (omega-3s and 6s) combat free radicals, which are very harmful to the body. This will in turn boost heart, brain, joint, eye, and skin health.
- Sustainable Weight Loss
- Plant-based protein revs metabolism, causing the body to burn calories up to 16% faster than it would on a non-plant-based diet for the first three hours after meals.
- Plant based protein burns fat while increasing lean muscle tissue, which results in a toned lean physique.
- Complex carbs (major food group in vegan eating) provide dietary fiber, which slows down digestion and make you feel fuller longer (one of the keys to weight-loss success).
- Enhanced Beauty
- Plant based food provides an array of amino acids and antioxidants, which is very important for cell generation and repair (crucial to reduce signs of aging).
- Plant based foods are high in water which helps to flush out toxins and waste products in the body. In addition, the vitamins and minerals being consumed through vegan food makes hair and nails stronger and grow faster.
- Most foods in the vegan diet naturally promote collagen production (responsible for your skins elasticity). Lentils, beans, nuts, and peas are rich in lysine, which significantly stimulates collagen.
- Increased Energy
- Vegan food provides consistent energy throughout the day without hitting a wall. The food breaks down slowly and does not take a toll on the body.
- Eating nutrient dense foods will make one feel lighter and more lively. This will help one keep a consistent workout schedule, which in turn will give them even more energy. It will also increase sex drive and help with a better performance.
- Plant based products support the immune system, which will reduce the risk of getting sick or exhausted regularly.
- Improved Work/Athletics
- Mental focus can be affected if a person is not putting clean, whole food in their body since the brain feeds on the highest quality nutrition. The mind will be in better shape when eating less processed, more
- Animal products take more time to digest which leads to lack of concentration and a dip in energy levels.
- Sports and work require confidence and output. Vegan diets help one look better which leads to more confidence and one feel better which leads to increased production.
- Unbelievable Environmental Benefits
- Livestock production is one of the major causes of the world’s most pressing environmental problems, including global warming, land degradation, air and water pollution and loss of biodiversity. –Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
- The United States Environmental Defense Fund has calculated that if every American skipped one meal of chicken per week and substituted vegan foods, the carbon dioxide savings would be the same as if the nation removed more than half a million cars from U.S. roads.
- Animal agriculture takes up 70% of all agricultural land and 30% of the land surface on the planet. An inconceivable amount of water is being used to raise crops strictly to feed farm animals before slaughter.
- Set Up For Success
Combing healthy eating, a fit/active body and positive/focused mindset will lead to success. This is when everything connects and you are unstoppable.