Challenge: How do I continue to see results from my workouts (especially in my booty)?
Solution: Increase the weight (I promise, you will not get bulky)!
Whether it’s bikini or little black dress season, a sculpted booty is always a major plus. When it comes to toning the rear, there are a variety of ways to go about it, all of which can be effective. My approach combines heavy weight and explosive plyometrics with fewer reps to get excellent tone, shape, and strength. The exercises include jumping, sprints, simple toning moves on a mat and kettle bell swings. No matter what fitness level you may be, this routine is for you. Look forward to a sculpted silhouette in no time!
The following exercises can be done as one routine, performing one exercise after the next, three times through. Start by doing these exercise 2 days per week and build up to 3-4.
Benefit: I think this is one of the best exercises for women because it dramatically strengthens and tones the glutes and hamstrings. It’s important to lift a challenging weight since this will build muscle and muscle burns fat.
- Start with feet directly under hips and a slight bend in your knees.
- Shift hips back, slowly straighten legs, as you bring weights down past knees. Keep back straight the entire time.
- Come back up to standing, press hips through while keeping weights close to your legs.
- Do 6 Reps with a challenging weight (15-40 lbs. depending on fitness ability)
Sprint, back peddle, sprint
Benefit: Sprints raise metabolism, resulting in fat burn while at rest. Since sprinting is a high intensity exercise in a short period of time, you will see results quickly.
- Start in a lunge position with back at a 45 degree angle and weight shifted forward.
- Drive off the ball of the big toe to take bounding steps forward.
- After 10 yards, quickly change directions by shifting hips back.
- Back peddle 10 yards keeping chest up. Quickly change direction by shifting hips forward and driving forward off the ball of the big toe.
Bridge marches (extra challenge- on a physio ball)
Benefit: This is a simple, yet effective exercise for toning. Lifting the leg while holding a bridge activates the glutes and challenges the entire core. This is a great exercise to isolate the glutes without the quads taking over.
- Lie on your back with knees bent and hands by your side.
- Lift hips off the ground.
- Hold hips high, while you lift one foot off the ground (keeping knee bent), then alternate lifting the other foot off the ground.
- Do 10 reps each side.
Benefit: This high-intensity exercise raises metabolic rate, burning fat hours after the workout. The movement targets the glutes, hamstrings and quads, revealing definition and building lean muscle.
- Stand with feet hip width apart. Bend knees while shifting hips back to come into a squat.
- Drive off ball of the big toe to jump as high as possible off the ground driving knees to chest. Swing arms when jumping.
- Land softly and repeat.
- Do 10 reps.
Kettle bell swing
Benefit: Kettlebell exercises build strength without bulk, so there is no need to worry about looking like an Olympic weightlifter. The kettlebell exercises are a combination of strength and cardio so your rear will tighten up quickly.
- Stand with feet hip width apart with a slight bend in knees and hold kettle bell with both hands.
- Shift hips back, keeping back straight.
- Swing kettle bell forward in an explosive motion by driving hips through and come all the way up to standing.
- Do 6 reps with a challenging weight (15-40 pound kettlebell depending on fitness level)